Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ham

Book Jacket for: Ham : slices of a life : essays & storiesHam by Sam Harris is a collection of essays and stories about his life.  I didn’t finish it.  

He had one piece that discussed the many pets he had had in the course of his life and what their fates were which really hung me up.  When you baldly & unapologetically admit to mistreatment of animals you kind of lose me.  My take on it is once you get a pet you’re responsible for it.  If circumstances dictate that you can’t keep it any more you MUST find it an adequate and safe new home… it’s your responsibility.  I can’t forgive someone thinking that just taking a dog and abandoning it in the woods not once but twice (the first time the dog found her way home) is okay.  So after that I couldn’t really continue.  

What I read before I quit was interesting but I’m afraid I couldn’t recommend the book.  Maybe someone who doesn’t find the animal incident as shocking as I did would enjoy it all the way through.