Monday, May 4, 2020

Let’s Make Something


Today’s project is both super easy and very useful.  It’s a trick I only discovered recently but love so much that I’ve become something of a proselytizer on its behalf.

Do you have a closet that leaves everything in it with a musty smell? I used to always call this a grandma smell since my own grandmother’s blankets when I visited her were where I first encountered this phenomena.  Once grown and settled into a place of my own I discovered to my dismay that my own linen closet suffered from grandma smell.  Boxes of baking soda failed to solve my problem. But this solution worked for me.

You will need: A clean glass jar, a nail, a hammer, and a container of coffee grounds (as cheap as possible).

Take your glass jar, it can be anything from a jar that held pickles to an empty spaghetti sauce jar, and make sure it’s clean.  Make it more attractive by peeling off the labeling.  With your nail and hammer poke holes in the jar’s lid.  Fill the jar about one-quarter to one-half full with coffee grounds and put the lid on.  Stick the jar at the back of the closet you’re trying to “aroma-fy”.  You might use more than one jar if it’s a larger closet.  I’ve put two in mine. 

It took about a month for things to finally settle down scent wise but now when I pull a set of sheets from my linen closet they have a pleasant, faint coffee odor instead of the dreaded grandma smell.  It’s been about 6 months since I put the jars in and the aroma is still positive so I’m thinking I can go 9 months to 1 year before I need to refresh the coffee grounds.