Thursday, October 4, 2012

Websites I Use…


One question I’m often asked is what the AR (or accelerated reader) level is for a particular book.  Or where the question asker can find a book of a particular AR level. 

Before I address where you can find information like this let me pause to issue a diatribe against Accelerated Reader.  As a librarian I hate the program.  As far as I can tell it takes all the fun out of reading.  Kids are proscribed to a particular set of books and deprived of the joy of stumbling upon the perfect book.  It’s always so disappointing to me when the kid brings up a book all happy and looking forward to reading it only to find it is above (or below) their “AR” level. They all seem to have been told that they can’t read books outside of their levels so at this point they move on to another title.  I can go on longer about my dislike of accelerated reader but let’s revert to the original point.

If you want to find AR levels for books go to their Accelerated Book Reader Finder.  Here you can look books up to determine their level, points in the AR program and other things.  If you do an advanced search you can look for books at particular levels on particular topics.