Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dark Magic


[Medium bookjacket]Dark Magic by James Swain is another book that I was unable to finish.  It sounded very interesting when I picked it up… A magician, who is also psychic, works with a group of similarly talented individuals to prevent future crimes & other misfortunes.  Unfortunately, it comes across as though it were written by a 14 year old girl (not to slam 14 year old girls but I’m a bit too old and jaded for that brand of sugary naiveté).   Finally after one too many passages like
“But now he cheated, and took a tiny peek at her thoughts.  What he saw made the cold leave his bones and his heart race.  Liza loved him with all her heart, and all her soul.  If he was going to survive this, it would be with her by his side.” (p. 150)
I called it a day and gave up.  Not a book I’d recommend.