Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Monster Hunters


[Medium bookjacket]This behemoth of a book (1191 pages) is actually a compilation of the three books: Monster Hunter International, Monster Hunter Vendetta, and Monster Hunter Alpha by Larry Correia.  The thing that’s most interesting to me about this book is that while I liked it enough to actually finish it, I also really hated the author’s politics and worldview -- to the point that I kept almost stopping.  So I guess this is a case of plot trumping the characters’ stupidity. 

The title fairly succinctly sums up what the books are about.  There are monsters in the world.  The government pays a bounty on them and our heroes are in a company that actively works to collect those bounties.  Diverse other things happen as well, of course.  The books are action packed and very violent.  So if you like slap up in your face violence and can overlook a bit of libertarianism & anti-governmentalism give these books a try.