Tuesday, March 12, 2019

I, Mammal

Book Jacket for: I, mammal : the story of what makes us mammalsIn his book I, Mammal, Liam Drew explores the origins and uses of those traits used to classify animals as mammals.  While this description sounds rather dry and prosaic the book itself is a fascinating read, full of interesting facts.  For instance, did you know that of the 5,080 species of placental mammals 1,116 are bats of one type or another while 2,277 are rodents of some kind.  I’m not sure why I find that fact so fascinating, perhaps because I never realized just how many different kinds of bats there are.

In any event, this is not a book seeking to expound new science but rather a book that seeks to educate its reader about its topic.  It does its educating by keeping the reader interested and engaged.  I would strongly recommend it.