Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Old Deep and Dark

Book Jacket for: The old deep and darkThe Old Deep and Dark by Ellen Hart is another entry in the Jane Lawless mystery series.  In this volume Jane is helping her father investigate the mystery surrounding the death of a well-known country music star with some long standing secrets.  Simultaneously she is helping her good friend Cordelia whose recently purchased theater seems to have been a sort of mecca for murder (3 skeletons are turned up in various hidden nooks and crannies in the theater).  Hart always switches viewpoints between her characters in her books --- something I found a bit annoying here as all of the characters came across as seriously self-centered and annoying.  I even found myself rooting for characters I knew to be innocent to be suspected of the crime because I kind of wanted them to suffer.

All in all a good solid mystery albeit peopled with some characters who don’t exactly make you want to care what happens to them.  I would recommend it to someone who was already a fan of the series.