Thursday, August 14, 2014

Last Watch

Book Jacket for: Last watchI was just rereading Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and it made me remember how much I love this writer.  The Last Watch is part of the Night Watch series that has currently had 5 of its volumes translated into English.  The series is one of those fantasy world interacts with the real world books but it is made more interesting because it reflects a Russian worldview.  So just when you find a trope you’re used to from your general American or English writers it will spin in an unexpected way.  It doesn’t hurt that the writer is good too.  If you haven’t run into the series before I would recommend picking up the first --- Night Watch.

I was trying to think of what English writing author to compare this too and I came up with Stross’ Laundry Files novels.  Both deal with a government (or civil service-esque) response to dealing with evil in the world though that is pretty much the only similarity.