Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Mortal Instruments (series)

Book Jacket for: City of lost soulsI have a love hate relationship with this series.  I just finished City of Lost Souls (book 5) so clearly I like it enough to pick up each new book at some point after it comes out but I really, really hate the characters.  For this last book I wound up rooting for the villain all the way through and was disappointed when the in-danger principal characters survived the story (sorry to give it away).   The characters are just too self-centered for my taste (& they keep getting rewarded for their self-centered decisions in a way that just does not happen in reality).  In reading this last book I wound up skimming or skipping past any of the character reflection parts & some of the character relation parts (particularly scenes involving the love relation between Clary & Jace --- I mean yuck) in favor of the action scenes that moved the plot forward.

So would I recommend the series to someone?  Probably I would recommend it to reader’s who’ve demonstrated a taste for saccharine & improbable teen lit (fans of Meyer or Cast).