Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Flight of the Silvers

Book Jacket for: The flight of the silversIn this book (The Flight of the Silvers by Daniel Price) we follow the adventures of a group called the silvers (for the color of the bracelet they were tagged with) as they survive the end of their world and find themselves stuck in a parallel world.  Each of the group finds they have an odd talent when it comes to manipulating time.  They explore their talents & the world as they try to evade the local government, locals who also have odd abilities and who see these people as bringing the end of this world, and the future beings who saved them from the end of their world (after causing it).  The book is full of adventure and raises interesting theoretical questions about time and how it works.  I liked it a great deal at the beginning but found that the characters themselves didn’t ring very true so I became less and less interested in them as the book continued.  The book will clearly have a sequel and I’m not sure if I’ll read it.  On the one hand I am curious about how the story resolves but on the other hand the characters really don’t move me.

This is definitely not a book for someone who doesn’t like Science Fiction.  But if you do like SF I’d say pick it up for the meta-concepts.