Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Turn of Light

Book Jacket for: A turn of light : MarrowdellA Turn of Light is a sprawling 840 page fantasy novel by Julie E. Czerneda.  It is set in the small village of Marrowdell.  Marrowdell is an isolated place with lots of peculiarities located on (or possibly next to) a rift between its world and another, stranger world.  Our overly naive (unconsciously powerful) heroine is cursed to never leave the village on pain of death but longs only to depart.  She makes herself a husband out of her childhood playmate a spirit creature (who is really a dragon from the other realm punished to oversee her) on the same day that a good actual husband candidate arrives from outside to take up residence in the village and things precede from there.  I will admit that I only got halfway through (400 pages though) before I had to give up because I honestly could not stomach the heroine.  She was too naïve, too self-involved, too realistically 19 for my blood.

The book however was reasonably interesting and I would recommend it to people who like a long, sweeping fantasy story and who like their heroines on the cloying side.