Monday, December 30, 2013

My Personal Arroyo Book Club Favorite for 2013….

Book Jacket for: The disappearing spoon : and other true tales of madness, love, and the history of the world from the periodic table of the elementsIn 2013 the Arroyo Book Club read 12 great books.  We covered the classics… Moby Dick in September… historical fiction with The Virginian (historical now probably contemporary when written) & Master and Commander… travel with Travels with Charly… an American’s experience in pre-War Germany in In the Garden of Beasts… and more.  Looking over all the titles and remembering each book I have to say that my favorite was probably Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean. 

Disappearing Spoon tells the story of the periodic table of elements taking things element by element and providing a ton of colorful (& informative) stories about each.  As a lover of layman directed science books this was right up my alley.  I learned plenty of chemical trivia as well as actual valuable fact while reading this book and enjoyed myself doing it.  I would heartily recommend this book to anyone looking for an entertaining way to learn something new.