Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Ascendance of a Bookworm


Ascendance of a Bookworm : I'll do anything to become a librarian. 

Part 1: Daughter of a Soldier, Volume 1
By Miya Kazuki

This is an absolutely adorable, yet still adult level, story of a book loving woman. Urano loves books.  There is nothing she rather do than read. Tragically she dies.  She then finds herself reborn in the body of a 5 year old, the daughter of a soldier, in a world reminiscent of medieval Europe.  The important point of all this being it is a world in which books a rare, precious commodity.  Urano, now known as Myne, embarks on her quest to do whatever it takes so she can achieve her ultimate goal and become a librarian.

I really loved this book and am busy tracking down the subsequent volumes of the series as I type this.  It appeals to me on a very fundamental level since Urano is exactly me in terms of love of books.  But the book offers more than just a character I relate to on a fundamental level. The author supplies an interesting world that Urano (and the reader) must figure out, unexpected set-backs, and hints of more complexity then Urano, or Myne now, is aware of.  A fun book I recommend it.  Be warned, the series continues on for many, many volumes and you just might get hooked.