Monday, June 1, 2020

Let’s Make Something


Ever since I’ve had a smart phone I’ve had the habit of making it a cover. This cover has always served me in two ways. First it protects the phone from getting scratched by other objects when it is in my pocket or purse. Second, since I use the material they give you for cleaning your eye glasses, I can use it to polish my fingerprints off the phone each time I’m done using it thereby keeping it looking nice.

For today’s project you will need access to a sewing machine, or at least needle and thread. Also, scissors, pins, and a ruler or tape measure. You will need one or two of those scraps of fabric that you are given with a new pair of glasses (see below).



I will just generally describe what I do. You will have to think and modify things so they work for your specific phone.

I have always bought the smallest phone I could find, if it can’t fit in your pocket why bother and they don’t put big pockets on women’s clothing. Because of this I’ve always only needed one eyeglass fabric scrap to make a big enough cover. Lay the fabric pattern side down then fold it along the dimension that will fit your phone (see below).


Pin along the long edge and across one of the short edges. Sew a seam along those two edges, either with a sewing machine or by hand. Remove the pins and turn the pouch inside out so the pattern is on the outside. Your cover is ready to go.

If your phone is too big for one scrap of fabric to work use two. Use a ruler to figure out the dimensions you need, remembering to measure a bit bigger to leave room for the seam. Cut two pieces to the right dimensions. Put them together, pattern side in (see below), and pin along two long sides and one short side. Sew and then invert for the finished product.