Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Don’t Let Him Know

Book Jacket for: Don't let him know : a novel in storiesDon’t Let Him Know by Sandip Roy is a collection of stories about the same family.  The stories feature Romola the mother, Avinash the father, and Amit the son as well as assorted other relatives and take place in the US and in India.  The stories jump around in time and space and seem to focus on everyday moments in the family’s life.  While I’m not sure the author intended to highlight the role of women in these stories that wound up being my take away from the book.  All the women portrayed in these stories lived lives that were very constrained and I came away from the book thanking my stars that I was not born Indian.

An interesting read for those interested in small stories of family life & exploring some aspects of the Indian culture.