Friday, October 3, 2014

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me

Book Jacket for: Lies my girlfriend told me : a novelAlix’s girlfriend dies at the beginning of Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters.  At first she is heartbroken but then she gradually learns that Swanee was essentially living a double life and she did not know her at all.  Then she meets the “other” girl Swanee was dating and finds herself interested & intrigued by her. 


At first I found the main character incredibly self-centered & a little bit stupid but by the end of the book she had grown up a bit, found herself involved with more stable people and had become more relatable.  This is a straightforward exploration of a young girl coming to terms with death and with being manipulated & lied to.  I would recommend it to those who like angsty coming of age novels.