Saturday, May 17, 2014

Forcing the Spring

Book Jacket for: Forcing the spring : inside the fight for marriage equalityForcing the Spring by Jo Becker is an in-depth look at the court fight to overturn Proposition 8.  It is a surprisingly riveting read.  I picked it up meaning to only read a couple of pages on an aspect of the case I found intriguing and wound up reading the entire book.  It begins with election eve in 2008 when it was clear that proposition 8 had passed and follows the actions of the lawyers and plaintiffs in the challenge all the way to the Supreme Court.  Along the way it picks up and discusses the DOMA case (because the two were argued together at the Supreme Court). 

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in the path to marriage equality and say that you’ll like even if you don’t normally like legal type stories (a I number myself among).